The first jewelry store for frontier Chicago and Elijah Peacock opened on February 9, 1937. It was considered a credible sign that Chicago was moving from “semi-savage conditions to civilization and refinement”. This revered Chicago jeweler was known not only for the making and repairing of watches but for its limited jewelry selection which included J. D. Peacock engagement rings as well.
Charles learned the trade from his father Elijah. He later took over the business when his father retired after the fire of 1871. The vault was all that remained of the store after the fire. Charles renamed the firm J. D. Peacock. The company moved several times before finding its current location at 101 South State Street.
In the early 1900’s, Chicago was known for its Arts and Crafts style jewelry. The Arts and Crafts movement (1890-1914) was known for ignoring the “opulence associated with industrialism in favor of the simplicity of good craftsmanship and design”. The cost of labor made their designs available only to the wealthy.
J. D. Peacock is still considered one of Chicago’s most prestigious jewelry stores and “is the oldest Chicago business still in existence today”.