Leon Breitling founded the Breitling Company in 1884 in St. Imer, Switzerland and in 1892, relocated to La Chaux-de-Fonds.
In 1914, Leon Breitling’s son, Gaston, takes over the company business at his father’s death.
In 1915, Gaston Breitling creates the first chronograph wrist watch and gives it to pilots with “their first wrist instruments”.
In 1923, the first independent push piece is developed by Breitling.
In 1932, Gaston’s son, Willy Breitling, takes over the company business.
In 1934, the first return to a zero push piece is developed.
In 1936, “Breitling becomes the official supplier to the Royal Air Force.
In 1942, the first chronograph with a circular slide rule is introduced.
In 1962, the Cosmonaute Chronograph is worn on the wrist of Astronaut Scott Carpenter during his orbital flight on the Aurora 7.
In 1969, Breitling invents the first self-winding chronograph movement along with the help of Buren and Heuer-Leonidas.
In 1979, Ernest Schneider takes over the Breitling Company.
In 1984, the mechanical Chronomat is introduced and is still one of Breitling’s most popular watches today.
In 1995, Breitling introduces the Emergency, a watch which transmits on the aircraft emergency frequency.
In 2000, Breitling opens their new headquarters in Grenchen, Switzerland made up of a modernized administration building and the most up to date production facility.
In 2002, Breitling Chronometrie is established in La Chaux-de-Fonds specializing in making mechanical chronograph movements.